Sunday, February 15, 2009

Happy V-Day!

A LOT has happened since the last blog but I'll try not to write a book here. First of all, we got chosen for our teams. Basically there are 3 units; Raven, Wolf, and Badger. Now I know what you may be thinking..."how does a Badger fit in with the spookily awesome Raven and prideful wolf?" But let me tell you that the Badger can be just as vicious. For example: Did you know that British forces were said to have released man-eating badgers in the vicinity of Basra, Iraq, to kill terrorists following the 2003 coalition invasion? That's right, MAN-EATING BADGERS! Wolfs and Ravens? Yeah, they can suck it!

So I got selected for the Badger unit (not sure if you picked up on that) and in each unit there are teams. I got placed on Badger 1 with one of my roommates Lili. Allow me to briefly describe my team (you don't really have to read this part, it's more for reference with future blogs):

Lili: my roommate. 20 years old. Hippy. Very bubbly, happy, and excited by everything. Loves tie-die and scarves. She and I definitely get along well. We definitely have our differences; she's pro-life, is against hunting but eats meat and I think she's a republican but I can't be sure, mostly bc I refuse to talk about politics with anyone here if I can avoid it. We've agreed to leave politics out of things, so hopefully she and I will still get along as well by the end of the year.

Eric K: frequently hangs out at our place even before we got placed into teams. 19 years old. When we played the board game "who's the biggest pervert" he lapped it 2 and 3/4 times while we waited for Lili to finish it once. Previous stoner and hard rock lover. A gentleman at heart and all around good guy.

Joe: 20 years old (will turn 21 in march), big lovable guy who sometimes says too much but is generally funny. Has no shame.

Emma: 22 (i think) often quiet but very smart. She kind of reminds me of Gretchen from the nickelodeon show Recess. Is incredibly nice and I really look forward to getting to know her.

Austin: 23 year old film major who studied in Miami. Looks a lot like a red haired Elijiah Wood. We didn't exactly click right away, but after some hanging out time I began getting to know and like him.

Rine: aka Katherine, 21 (or 22). Super cool badass chick that I instantly bonded with. Very liberal, funny, and laid back.

Eric M: New to our team, came about 2 weeks late into the program. He's 6'6 and very nice. Studied Neuroscience. He fits pretty nicely into the group so far, which is awesome.

And that's all of them. Our team leader is Jessie and she's pretty cool as well. The biggest problem we have is that none of us take anything too seriously. We're always laughing and joking around during training, but really, how else would we stay awake through 8 hours of CPR and First Aid training?

Overall, I really lucked out here. I get a long so well with my housemates and teammates it's ridiculous. There are houses and teams of girls and guys here that fight and hate each other, but I haven't really experienced any of that. Well....there are ladies in my house who don't get along which has caused some drama, but it hasn't affected me.

PT is going well. It's 3 days a week at 5:40am (Mon, Wed, Fri) but the firefighters have PT on Tues and Thurs. I decided to crash their PT for an extra work out and HOLY CRAP did it kick my ass. Theirs is all endurance. We ran for like 35 minutes straight and I was dead. I had to take a break while they did more cardio. I finally was able to get back in for the relays but shit, I was owned. So I've been going to their PT every week because I don't wanna be the teammate holding everyone back.

Last night we had a Gender Bender Valentine's Day Party. If you go to my facebook you'll see what a studly man I make. The best part, though, was seeing how into it the guys got! Full on make up and fake boobs and everything. Mom, you'd be proud how every boy got to live out their inner drag queen dreams ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment